Thursday, February 24, 2011

Am I committed to God? Or just interested?

I saw the following as the status of my cousin on his facebook page. "There's a difference between 'interest' and 'commitment.' When you're 'interested' in doing something, you do it only when circumstances permit. When you're 'committed' to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

It made me stop and think... Am I committed to my relationship with God or am I simply interested? Am I committed to growing in my faith, or does it sound like an interesting idea?  Am I committed to studying God's word more and finding deeper truths, or only when I feel like I've had enough sleep to wake up early enough for a quiet time?

I recently went on a women's retreat with the ladies of my church. What a blessing it was!  I was encouraged throughout the retreat on various aspects of my spiritual life, but was convicted in my daily routine when it came to intentional time spent with my Lord.  The above quote reinforced that I need to show commitment to studying of God's word. I need to be committed in my time with Him. When we take a step back, and look at our lives what do we find we are committed?  Television shows? Video games? Reading? All of these are 'fine' but when they take priority over other aspects that deserve our commitment I think we, at least I, should reevaluate my priorities and commitments. 

Many of us may find ourselves overly committed, which really translates to having a lot of interests. Because if we over exert our efforts we can't be wholly successful in the areas in which we are truly being called.

I am in the process of figuring out my daily routine and prioritizing my commitments, and following God's prompting so that I can see the results of His grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment