Thursday, April 21, 2011

To Hear Him Say My Name

Sometimes I wonder if I learn more than my Sparkies during AWANA on Wednesday nights.

Since last night was the Wednesday before Easter, I thought that it would be appropriate to give a lesson on the resurrection on Jesus. As Christians we know that dying on the cross, while unfair and cruel, was not the miracle that gives us eternal life. It is the fact Jesus did not stay dead, but on the third day, rose from the dead and spoke to Mary Magdalene.

What amazes me, is that a story I have heard my entire life, can teach me something new, or remind me of something different each time I read it.  This leads me to what I learned last night.

Mary was the first of Jesus's followers to discover that the tomb was empty.  She was devastated. She assumed his body had been stolen. If I was Mary, I would've been beside myself, trying to figure out a way to put my Lord back in his proper resting place. I would've been furious thinking, "can't they leave him alone, even in death?"  She tells the disciples, and Peter and another disciple come to see for themselves. After they see what Mary said was true, they go back to their homes, but Mary stays outside the tomb weeping.  I don't imagine these are small "ladylike" tears either. I imagine they are tears like raindrops flowing from her eyes.  Then angels appear to her, and then a gardener (or so she thinks) approaches her and asks her "Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?"  This is not a gardener, but Jesus Himself!  She doesn't recognize Him, instead asks him to give her the body and she'll take care of it.  Mary is so distracted with her grief that she doesn't recognize her Savior as He is standing in front of her.  But then the best part of this story happens (in my opinion).  He speaks to her again, and she recognizes Him.  It must have been the most beautiful word she had ever heard, and she knew that this was not a gardener but Jesus Christ! Jesus said

"Mary"

He said her name and she knew who He was. Oh the overwhelming peace and joy she must have felt to hear His voice saying her name.

It made me think, who's voice do I recognize above all else?  My husband, my children, my parents, my sisters... People I have close relationships with. I invest time in building and deepening these relationships. Would I recognize The Lord's voice if He said my name?  I would hope so, but to be certain I must invest in deepening my relationship with Him.  I want more than anything to hear Him say my name, and know with such certainty that it is my Lord speaking to me. My desire is to know Him, the way Mary knew Him. To trust Him and hear His voice, and recognize it when He calls...

Thank you Lord, for the miracle of Easter, so that I have the freedom to approach You and know You so intimately.

No comments:

Post a Comment