Thursday, April 28, 2011

Never a dull moment

Wednesday was going along, like any other typical Wednesday: doing laundry, dishes, and other around the house chores. In the afternoon the phone rings and caller ID informs me that it is Wylie ISD.  This typically means I have a child throwing up, or lying down with a fever in the nurses offices at one of the campuses. Today, however, turned out to be a little different.

"Hi is this Katie?" (They call so often the school nurse is comfortable enough to call me by my first name)

"Yes it is."

"This is Sandy, the nurse at the Elementary school. I have Branden with me, and he had an accident at recess. He fell on his chin..." That's all she had to say, I knew exactly what was coming next. When Branden was about 22 months old he had fallen and split his chin.  It was able to be butterfly bandaged and we avoided stitches.... According to the nurse, we weren't getting away that lucky this time.

Here was my dilemma, I was without a car.... Because of the hailstorm, Zach's car was being repaired, and he had my car at work. Luckily we have terrific friends, and I was able to call up a friend a couple blocks away and she swooped in to pick me up and took Bubba and I to the ER. Meanwhile I had to call the Intermediate school to explain that Kristyn couldn't ride the bus home. Another blessing in friendship came through and Kristyn was picked up after school, while Branden was being sewed up.

We were in and out of the ER in two hours, which I thought was pretty good. And he made out with 6 stitches, and a great story to tell his friends. As he left for school this morning he was blushing at the idea that the girls would want to take care of him! :) 

Boys and their scars!

Waiting patiently for the nurse to come back and numb his chin

It was worse than it looks... trust me.

A numbing agent applied before the shot of lidocaine.

Ended the visit with six stitches! He was very strong and brave!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment