Thursday, April 14, 2011

A friend loves at all times

Branden came home this afternoon, rather upset with one of his friends. In fact he went as far to say, "I am not John's friend anymore." (Since I don't know John or his mother I will be calling him John instead of his real name) This was quite surprising because since "Meet the Teacher Night" Branden has called John his best friend.  I was curious as to what would cause Branden to be this angry with his best friend. I didn't have to wait long because Branden proceeded to tell me that John had gotten physical with a little girl in their class. 

From the explanation it wasn't violent and she wasn't hurt, but from a young age Branden has been taught "You don't hit to solve problems, and you NEVER hit a girl."  Called me old-fashioned but that's the way it is in our house.

So when the little girl told Branden this he confronted John about it. John didn't deny it, just said that it wasn't that hard and he didn't hurt her. Branden said it didn't matter, you don't touch girls, or treat them like that, and if John was going to act like that Branden wasn't his friend anymore. (I was gushing inside at what a gentleman and knight-in-shining-armor my son was for this little girl).

I listened to the story and then reinforced how proud I was of him to stand up for the little girl, and that he was right to rebuke John for his behavior.  I was also proud that he didn't get into a fight with John and simply walked away. I then reminded him that John was his friend, and because he was human, he made a mistake, and when we make a mistake God forgives us. So, maybe before he ends his friendship with Johnhe should give  him the opportunity to apologize. He listened to what I said, and then as most kids do got distracted with the idea of playing outside with his sister and went on his way for his afternoon activities.

We had AWANA at church last night, and the lesson that Branden heard was on the Crucifixion and why it was necessary for Jesus to be a sacrifice. We all need forgiveness. We got home from church, got showered and ready for bed, and what seemed like a random questions Branden asked, "Is there a verse in the Bible that says 'if you want a friend you have to be a friend?'"  I said I knew there were lots of stories and verses about friendships, and I would look later for that one. 

Then the coolest thing happened. Branden sat next to me on the couch and looked up at me and said, "Can we look now?"

I looked at him questioning his motives, I had to make sure he wasn't just trying to prolong the inevitable bedtime.  He must have sensed this because he said, "I want to talk to John about what happened today. And I want to tell him about being a friend, but I want a Bible verse to tell him too."

Wow, was it possible? My six year old son, understood the concept of a biblical rebuke? He was being the best friend John could have...  An open rebuke is better than hidden love! Wounds from a sincere friend are better than many kisses from an enemy. (Prov 27:5-6)

My heart was filled with joy, as I began praising God for speaking to my son's heart, and giving him the desire to share scriptural truth with his friend.  We searched for some verses, and with Branden's help we decided on Proverbs 18:24, There are "friends" who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother, and Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times.

My prayer this morning is that God would speak through a six-year old boy, that loves Him, and loves his friends enough to share the Truth with them. My prayer is that the children Branden speaks with will hear God, the way only children can.

As a parent, my prayer is one of praise, that God is following through with His promise, Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Prov 22:6) May the Lord continue to guide Zach and I with wisdom as we train our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment