Saturday, September 17, 2011

Cloth Diapers: Week 1& 2

We started cloth diapering last week after being home from the hospital a couple days.  We have been using our cloth diapers in combination with disposable ones for two main reasons:
  1. We only ordered 7 newborn sized All-in-one (AIO) diapers because I wasn't sure how big Cub was going to be. Branden had to be squeezed into newborn size diapers and after a week couldn't fit in them anymore; however, Kristyn was in newborn size for over a month.  Since I wasn't sure which way the pendulum would swing with Cub, I decided not to buy too many.  Plus my sister had given me a few of the newborn sized "gdiapers" that she uses on her daughter. These are hybrid diapers and with the right insert you can reuse these a few times before they have to be washed.  (We don't have a the right insert)
  2. All of the suave diaper changing moves I may have acquired 7 years ago have vanished... On more than one occasion since Cub's birth, I have been peed on, pooped on, put a new diaper under him only to immediately change it because he pooped more in the brand new diaper. We have had to change multiple onsies in a single changing, and changed sheets on the bed because the changing pad doesn't take into account the arch fountain that is my son's pee stream.
So with these factors, we have been cloth diapering in combo with some disposables.  My only complaint has been I didn't purchase enough so I am doing diaper laundry every day, but that will be over soon because he is just about ready to be in the One-size AIOs we bought. The cloth diapers are the only diapers that have not leaked on Cub regularly.  I can say definitely is that Huggies are my least favorite diapers of all time. They have been leaking on my kids for 10 years! LOL. 

So for our first two weeks of cloth diapering I can say I LOVE my bum genius newborn, AIOs. They are absorbent, have a great fit, and are just adorable on Cub's little bum.  Not to mention the laundering of the diapers is much easier than I anticipated. I was concerned that since I cannot dry them in a dryer they would take forever to dry, but that is simply not true. They have dried quicker than I expected.

I am pretty excited about this cloth diapering business, and pleasantly surprised at how much easier it is than I was anticipating! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment