Friday, August 13, 2010

Getting back to normal... what is that?

So, last night I started thinking up ways to ensure we could easily get back to our "normal life," and I realized we've never had one.  Zach and I didn't do things traditionally, or by-the-book, so even our courtship wasn't normal, per say. Now we are faced with creating normalcy from an out of the ordinary situation.

Our main focus is first and foremost, making the kids feel, safe, secure, loved, and happy.  We are doing that through being actively involved in their daily activities. Zach has been going to football practice everyday with Bubba, and Kristyn beamed at me when she saw me watching her on the uneven bars.  School starts in two weeks and I have the advantage of being able to take them and hopefully volunteer with their classrooms.  This is a great start, but my question is a big one... Do they see us, collectively, as a family?

Kristyn has memories of her biological parents being married, but accepted early after the divorce we were all much happier apart. So her happy memories are on Brushy Creek Rd, with Bubba, her and Mommy.  Bubba on the other hand has few (if any) memories other than the "Three Musketeers."  Unfortunately, although Zach and I have been married for over a year, the kids spent the last year on Brushy Creek and it was just the three of us. I worry that they see "them and me" and then "me and Zach," when in actuality it is "us."

We are constantly looking for ways to make us a cohesive unit. I know I can't rush it, or force it. Zach and I are just out of our expertise. We have both been blessed with non-divorced parents.

Our prayer is God would guide us and give us wisdom on how to be great parents.  I also wouldn't mind reading a good book on blended families. I think right now the important part is that Sissy and Bubba feel safe and know they are loved here in Abilene. The rest may just have to fall in to place.... I just would like it to in a more timely fashion ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment