Monday, August 13, 2012

Making Himself known...

I believe conversations like this next one should always start with, "Everyone is ok, but..." So, everyone is ok, but the kids were in a car accident with their dad Friday afternoon. It was pretty serious. The car flipped/rolled and is totaled. When I heard this news my heart skipped a couple beats and I immediately began silently praising God for taking care of the kids, as I listened to the story about a patch of gravel, coming too fast around a curve. By the grace of God they walked about remotely unharmed. Sissy suffered a rash from the seat belt/airbag combination, and Bubba had a few nicks from the glass after climbing out of the vehicle window.

The kids were obviously shaken, but I couldn't have been more proud of how they handled their fears. Bubba told me as soon as they started to roll he was scared and knew he needed help. "Mommy, I was scared, but I asked God to help us, and He DID!" At 8 years old, Bubba saw God's hand protecting him and his family. He said this with such conviction and assurance.

Later that evening I called to check on them before bedtime.  I told them I had been praying prayers of thanksgiving that God had kept them safe. Bubba replied, "I know. I am still nervous and shaky, but I can't stop telling Him thank you."  Bubba knew without a shadow of a doubt he was not alone in his fear.

The hardest part of summer for me is the extended time I have to spend away from Sissy and Bubba. The time I am not "in control." The times I cannot kiss their booboos and assure them that everything is going to be ok. The times I am not there to remind them to give thanks where thanks is due. This event reminded me of a couple of things.

Firstly, I am NEVER in control. As much as I like to be, and sometimes think I am. God has a divine plan, and sometimes I am not "in on it." This is where my faith in His Grace, His Goodness, and Him being WAY smarter than me comes into focus. "I believe in God the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth." Therefore, I believe He is ultimately in control, and I trust His leadership through this life for me and my family.

Secondly, when you "train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it." Now, Sissy and Bubba are far from old, but I was not there to pray aloud to lead them, or remind them to thank God for His protection; however, God was there reminding them that He was with them. Bubba knew from teachings he has experienced that God is who you call on for help, protection, strength, and when he is fearful.

I am so grateful for God's protection over my children Friday. I am even more thankful that He is making himself known to them, so as they get older their faith will not be shaken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment